Jump starting, Roadside emergencies – Lincoln 2011 MKX User Manual
1. Connect the positive (+) jumper
cable to the positive (+) terminal of
the discharged battery.
2. Connect the other end of the
positive (+) cable to the positive
(+) terminal of the assisting battery.
3. Connect the negative (-) cable to
the negative (-) terminal of the
4. Make the final connection of the
negative (-) cable to an exposed
metal part of the stalled vehicle’s
engine, away from the battery and
the carburetor/fuel injection system.
Note: Do not attach the negative (-) cable to fuel lines, engine rocker
covers, the intake manifold or electrical components as grounding points.
WARNING: Do not connect the end of the second cable to the
negative (-) terminal of the battery to be jumped. A spark may
cause an explosion of the gases that surround the battery.
Ensure that the cables are clear of fan blades, belts, moving parts of both
engines, or any fuel delivery system parts.
1. Start the engine of the booster vehicle and run the engine at
moderately increased speed.
2. Start the engine of the disabled vehicle.
3. Once the disabled vehicle has been started, run both engines for an
additional three minutes before disconnecting the jumper cables.
2011 MKX (mkx)
Owners Guide, 1st Printing