Estes 1876 – Hydrogen Rocket User Manual
Supplies, Parts, Caution
Estes Industries • 1295 H Street • Penrose, CO 81240
RECOMMENDED FOR AGES 10 AND UP WITH ADULT SUPERVISION FOR THOSE UNDER 12
KEEP THESE INSTRUCTIONS FOR FUTURE REFERENCE. KEEP THE PACKAGE TRAY AND BOX FOR STORAGE.
Read all instructions before assembling.
Make sure you have all parts and supplies.
In addition to the parts shown above, you will also need the following items (not supplied):
D-Size alkaline batteries
Ounces (240 ml) tap water
Paper Towel or Rag
Printed in China.
© 2006 Estes-Cox Corp. All rights reserved. PN 61547 (06/06)
Order 2 ways:
1. On line at:
2. Call Toll Free:
8:00am-4:00pm, Mountain Time
Citric Acid Packets (4)
Plastic Bottle w/ Cap
Launch Base & Launch Button
O-Ring Set (2 ea)
This product uses citric acid crystals to assist
in the generation of hydrogen fuel. Citric acid
is found in everyday food products. Short –
term exposure to citric acid can irritate eyes,
skin and your respiratory tract so handle with
care. Exposure would be like getting lemon
juice in a cut or in your eye. If your skin or
eyes come in contact with the crystals, flush
with plenty of water for several minutes. If
you ingest the crystals, rinse your mouth with
plenty of water.
HOW IT WORKS
By passing an electric current from six D batteries in the Launch Base through a solution of tap water and
citric acid crystals in the Fuel Generator, the water solution breaks into hydrogen and oxygen gases that
bubble upward in the generator. This process is called electrolysis. The hydrogen and oxygen gases collect
in the upper chamber of the Fuel Generator until there is enough to launch. When the Launch Button is
pressed, a special igniter in the generator heats up to ignite the hydrogen gas collected in the upper chamber.
The expanding gases from the ignition of the hydrogen thrusts the rocket into orbit. After ignition, the hydrogen
combines with the oxygen again and turns back into water!
Launch Base with Launch Button (1)
Replacement Fuel Generator
Replacement Launch Tube
• Insert batteries into unit in the correct polarity.
• Do not use rechargeable batteries in the unit.
• Do not mix alkaline, standard (carbon – zinc) or
• Do not mix old and new batteries.
• Remove old or dead batteries from unit.
• If Launch Base will be stored for long periods,
• Never recharge non-rechargeable batteries.
• Only batteries of the same or equivalent type
recommended are to be used.
To prevent the possibility of severe injury to you and others or damage to your HF launcher and rocket:
1. Never place or allow anyone else to place any part of his/her body over the launch tube.
2. Never launch when anyone is within 15 feet (5m) of the launcher.
3. Never launch your rocket so that people or animals are in its flight path.
4. Always launch outside in a large open space like a sports field or playground away from power lines, trees, buildings and busy
5. Launch only when there is little or no wind and good visibility.
6. Never launch any item or rocket except rockets designed specifically for the HF launch system. An HF rocket must have special
recovery system designed to return the rocket safely so that it may be used again.
7. Never attempt to catch a descending rocket. Keep everyone clear of the rocket’s descent path.
8. Never attempt to retrieve a rocket from a power line or other dangerous place
9. Never attempt to alter the HF launcher or HF rocket in any way.
10. Never use any material or liquid in the HF launcher other than water and the crystals in the ratio provided.
11. In case of misfire stop pressing the launch button, release tension on the launch cable and wait 60 seconds before allowing anyone
to approach the launcher. Flip the power switch to “OFF”, while examining your rocket and launcher. Never place or allow anyone
to place any part of his/her body over the launch tube.
HYDROGEN ROCKET SAFETY CODE
No fuel being generated (can’t see any bubbles):
Power Switch not ‘ON’.
Batteries low and need replacement.
No solution in Fuel Generator.
Generator not reset after launch.
Generator sat idle for 6 minutes or longer and shut down.
Rocket will not launch:
Power Switch not ‘ON’.
Fuel Generation time not long enough.
Solution not allowed to soak into generator long enough.
Launch Cable not held taut enough to activate Safety Switch.
Launch Button not held down long enough.
Igniter in Fuel Generator wet with solution.
Rocket not all the way down on Launch Tube.
Small O- Ring on top of Launch Tube missing or not seated properly.
Rocket Body and/or Fuel Generator cracked or broken.
Rocket not launched before "Launch Tone" stops.
If you see damage to any area of the fuel generating system, launch assembly or rocket, do NOT attempt to generate
hydrogen fuel or launch rocket. Call the Estes® Customer Service Center at 1-800-525-7561 ext. 216 for assistance
or replacement parts.
You may wish to keep your launch system assembled with the solution remaining in the Fuel Generator for future
launches. If so, be sure that the Power Switch is “off” and the rocket is removed from the Launch Tube. If you do not
plan on launching for a couple of days, we recommend that you disassemble and store your Hydrogen Fuel Rocket
System as follows:
Carefully pour the solution back into the plastic
storage bottle and then cap the bottle. Remember
the solution may have a brown color but it is still
good to use. Do Not Discard Solution.
Rinse Fuel Generation Assembly out with tap water.
Let air dry.
For extended storage, remove the batteries from
the Launch Base.
Turn the Power Switch “OFF”.
Slide the Rocket off the Launch Tube.
Twist, unlock and remove the Launch Tube.
Twist, unlock and remove the Fuel Generator,
being careful not to spill the solution.
CARE AND STORAGE
ESTES FULL 90 DAY WARRANTY
Your Estes #1876 Hydrogen Fuel Rocket system is warranted against defects in materials or workmanship for a period of 90 days
from the date of original purchase. Should this Estes product, because of a manufacturing mistake, malfunction or prove to be
defective within 90 days from the date of purchase, it will be repaired or replaced, at Estes’ option and at no charge to you, provided
it is returned to Estes with proof of purchase.
This warranty does not cover incidental or consequential damage to persons or property caused by the use, abuse, misuse or failure
to comply with operating instructions of the warranted product. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or
consequential damages, so the above exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also
have other rights, which vary from state to state.
For repair or replacement under this warranty, please contact our Customer Service Department at 1-800-525-7561 for return
authorization & instructions
BEFORE sending any part or product. Any non-authorized return may be refused.