Instructions, Instruction manual general operation, Installation instructions – Grove Gear Helical-Inline Aluminum (P Series) User Manual
1. Run the motor which drives the reducer and check the direction of reducer output rotation. Consult motor nameplate for instructions to reverse the
direction of rotation .
2. Attaching the load: On direct coupled installations, check shaft and coupling alignment between speed reducer and loading mechanism. On chain/
sprocket and belt/pulley installation, locate the sprocket or pulley as close to the oil seal as possible to minimize overhung load. Check to verify that the
overhung load does not exceed specifications published in the catalog.
3. High momentum loads: If coasting to a stop is undesirable, a braking mechanism should be provided to the speed reducer output or the driven
The system of connected rotating parts must be free from critical speed, torsional or other type vibration, no matter how induced. The
responsibility for this system analysis lies with the purchaser of the speed reducer.
The following instructions apply to standard Grove Gear LeCentric™ type reducers with base or flange mounting in motorized and non-motorized double
and triple reduction options .
1. Mount the unit to a rigid flat surface using grade 5 or higher fasteners. The mounting fasteners should be the largest standard size that will fit in the base
mounting hole. Shim as required under flange or base feet which do not lie flat against the mounting surface.
2. LeCentric™ reducers are filled with proper amount of oil from Grove Gear. Oil quantity is based on mounting position, as indicated on reducer nameplate.
Unless otherwise indicated with order, all reducers are filled to level indicated for position H3. If position other than the one indicated on nameplate is
required, refer to Figure 1 for alternate mounting positions and Table 1 for oil quantities.
3. Connect motor to speed reducer.
4. LeCentric™ reducers are designed to operate without a vent. Installation of a vent is not required.
DO NOT CHANGE MOUNTING POSITIONS WITHOUT CONTACTING FACTORY. Altering the mounting position may require special
lubrication provisions which must be factory installed.
Do not operate the reducer without making sure it contains the correct amount of oil. Confirm that mounting position on nameplate matches
application requirement per Figure 1. Do not overfill or underfill with oil, or injury to personnel, reducer or other equipment may result.
A unit cannot be used as an integral part of a machine superstructure which would impose additional loads on the unit other than those
imposed by the torque being transmitted either through a shaft-mounted arrangement, and any shaft mounted power transmitting device.
(e.g. sprockets, pulleys, couplings)
For safe operation and to maintain the unit warranty, when changing a factory installed fastener for any reason it becomes the responsibility
of the person making the change to properly account for fastener grade, thread engagement, load, tightening torque and the means of torque