Sample, Confirming the package contents, For your safety – Nikon Coolpix A10 User Manual
Page 2: Notices, Information and precautions, Trademark information, Caring for the product, Warranty terms - nikon europe service warranty
Confirming the Package Contents
In the event that any items are missing, please contact the store where you purchased the
COOLPIX A10 Digital Camera
LR6/L40 (AA-size) alkaline batteries (×2)*
USB Cable UC-E16
• Quick Start Guide (this manual)
• Warranty (printed in this manual)
* The included batteries are for trial use only.
• A memory card is not included with the camera.
Attaching the Camera Strap
For Your Safety
To prevent damage to your Nikon product or injury to yourself or to others, read the
following safety precautions in their entirety before using this equipment. Keep these
safety instructions where all those who use the product will read them.
This icon marks warnings, information that should be read before using this Nikon
product, to prevent possible injury.
Turn off in the event of malfunction
Should you notice smoke or an unusual smell coming from the camera or AC adapter,
unplug the AC adapter and remove the batteries immediately, taking care to avoid burns.
Continued operation could result in injury. After removing or disconnecting the power
source, take the equipment to a Nikon-authorized service representative for inspection.
Do not disassemble
Touching the internal parts of the camera or AC adapter could result in injury. Repairs
should be performed only by qualified technicians. Should the camera or AC adapter
break open as the result of a fall or other accident, take the product to a Nikon-authorized
service representative for inspection, after unplugging the product and/or removing the
Do not use the camera or AC adapter in the presence of flammable gas
Do not use electronic equipment in the presence of flammable gas, as this could result in
explosion or fire.
Handle the camera strap with care
Never place the strap around the neck of an infant or child.
Keep out of reach of children
Particular care should be taken to prevent infants from putting the batteries or other small
parts into their mouths.
Do not remain in contact with the camera, battery charger, or AC adapter for
extended periods while the devices are on or in use
Parts of the devices become hot. Leaving the devices in direct contact with the skin for
extended periods may result in low-temperature burns.
Do not leave the product where it will be exposed to extremely high
temperatures, such as in an enclosed automobile or in direct sunlight
Failure to observe this precaution could cause damage or fire.
Observe caution when handling batteries
Batteries may leak or explode if improperly handled. Observe the following precautions
when handling batteries for use in this product:
• Before replacing the batteries, turn the product off. If you are using an AC adapter, be
sure it is unplugged.
• Use only the batteries approved for use in this product. Do not combine old and new
batteries or batteries of different makes or types.
• If Nikon rechargeable Ni-MH batteries EN-MH2 (EN-MH2-B2 or EN-MH2-B4) are
purchased separately, charge and use each of them as a set. Do not combine batteries
from different pairs.
• The EN-MH2 rechargeable batteries are for use with Nikon digital cameras only, and are
compatible with COOLPIX A10.
• Insert batteries in the correct orientation.
• Do not short or disassemble batteries or attempt to remove or break battery insulation
• Do not expose batteries to flame or to excessive heat.
• Do not immerse in or expose to water.
• Do not transport or store with metal objects such as necklaces or hairpins.
• Batteries are prone to leakage when fully discharged. To avoid damage to the product,
be sure to remove the batteries when no charge remains.
• Discontinue use immediately should you notice any change in the batteries, such as
discoloration or deformation.
• If liquid from damaged batteries comes in contact with clothing or skin, rinse
immediately with plenty of water.
Observe the following precautions when handling the Battery Chargers
• Keep dry. Failure to observe this precaution could result in fire or electric shock.
• Dust on or near the metal parts of the plug should be removed with a dry cloth.
Continued use could result in fire.
• Do not handle the power cable or go near the battery charger during lightning storms.
Failure to observe this precaution could result in electric shock.
• Do not damage, modify, forcibly tug or bend the power cable, place it under heavy
objects, or expose it to heat or flame. Should the insulation be damaged and the wires
become exposed, take it to a Nikon-authorized service representative for inspection.
Failure to observe these precautions could result in fire or electric shock.
• Do not handle the plug or battery charger with wet hands. Failure to observe this
precaution could result in electric shock.
• Do not use with travel converters or adapters designed to convert from one voltage to
another or with DC-to-AC inverters. Failure to observe this precaution could damage
the product or result in overheating or fire.
Use appropriate cables
When connecting cables to the input and output jacks, use only the cables provided or
sold by Nikon for the purpose, to maintain compliance with product regulations.
Do not touch the moving parts of the lens
Failure to observe this precaution could result in injury.
Handle moving parts with care
Be careful that your fingers or other objects are not pinched by the lens cover or other
Observe caution when using the flash
Using the flash close to your subject’s eyes could cause temporary visual impairment.
The flash should be no less than 1 m (3 ft 4 in.) from the subject. Particular care should be
observed when photographing infants.
Do not operate the flash with the flash window touching a person or object
Failure to observe this precaution could result in burns or fire.
Avoid contact with liquid crystal
Should the monitor break, care should be taken to avoid injury caused by broken glass
and to prevent liquid crystal from the monitor touching the skin or entering the eyes or
Follow the instructions of airline and hospital personnel
Notice for Customers in Europe
This symbol indicates that electrical and electronic equipment is to be collected
The following apply only to users in European countries:
• This product is designated for separate collection at an appropriate
collection point. Do not dispose of as household waste.
• Separate collection and recycling helps conserve natural resources and
prevent negative consequences for human health and the environment that
might result from incorrect disposal.
• For more information, contact the retailer or the local authorities in charge of waste
This symbol on the batteries indicates that the batteries are to be collected separately.
The following apply only to users in European countries:
• All batteries, whether marked with this symbol or not, are designated for
separate collection at an appropriate collection point. Do not dispose of as
• For more information, contact the retailer or the local authorities in charge
of waste management.
Information and Precautions
Nikon User Support
Visit the site below to register your camera and keep up-to-date with the latest product
information. You will find answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) and can contact us
for technical assistance.
Use Only Nikon Brand Electronic Accessories
Nikon COOLPIX cameras are designed to the highest standards and include complex
electronic circuitry. Only Nikon brand electronic accessories (including battery chargers,
batteries, AC adapters, and cables) certified by Nikon specifically for use with this Nikon
digital camera are engineered and proven to operate within the operational and safety
requirements of this electronic circuitry.
HE USE OF NON-
IKON ELECTRONIC ACCESSORIES COULD DAMAGE THE CAMERA AND
MAY VOID YOUR
For more information about Nikon brand accessories, contact a local authorized Nikon
Before Taking Important Pictures
Before taking pictures on important occasions (such as at weddings or before taking
the camera on a trip), take a test shot to ensure that the camera is functioning normally.
Nikon will not be held liable for damages or lost profits that may result from product
About the Manuals
• No part of the manuals included with this product may be reproduced, transmitted,
transcribed, stored in a retrieval system, or translated into any language in any form, by
any means, without Nikon’s prior written permission.
• Nikon reserves the right to change the specifications of the hardware and software
described in these manuals at any time and without prior notice.
• Nikon will not be held liable for any damages resulting from the use of this product.
• While every effort was made to ensure that the information in these manuals is accurate
and complete, we would appreciate it were you to bring any errors or omissions to the
attention of the Nikon representative in your area (address provided separately).
Notice Concerning Prohibition of Copying or Reproduction
Note that simply being in possession of material that was digitally copied or reproduced
by means of a scanner, digital camera or other device may be punishable by law.
• Items prohibited by law from being copied or reproduced
Do not copy or reproduce paper money, coins, securities, government bonds or local
government bonds, even if such copies or reproductions are stamped “Sample.” The
copying or reproduction of paper money, coins, or securities which are circulated in
a foreign country is prohibited. Unless the prior permission of the government was
obtained, the copying or reproduction of unused postage stamps or post cards issued by
the government is prohibited.
The copying or reproduction of stamps issued by the government and of certified
documents stipulated by law is prohibited.
• Cautions on certain copies and reproductions
The government has issued cautions on copies or reproductions of securities issued by
private companies (shares, bills, checks, gift certificates, etc.), commuter passes, or coupon
tickets, except when a minimum of necessary copies are to be provided for business
use by a company. Also, do not copy or reproduce passports issued by the government,
licenses issued by public agencies and private groups, ID cards and tickets, such as passes
and meal coupons.
• Comply with copyright notices
The copying or reproduction of copyrighted creative works such as books, music,
paintings, woodcut prints, maps, drawings, movies, and photographs is governed by
national and international copyright laws. Do not use this product for the purpose of
making illegal copies or to infringe copyright laws.
Applicable Memory Cards
The camera supports SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards (128 GB or less).
• Memory cards with an SD Speed Class rating of 6 or faster are recommended for
recording movies. When using a slower memory card, movie recording may stop
• If you use a card reader, make sure that it is compatible with your memory card.
• Contact the manufacturer for details on memory card features, operation, and
• Windows is either a registered trademark or trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the
United States and/or other countries.
• Mac is a trademark or registered trademark of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and other countries.
• Adobe, the Adobe logo, and Reader are either trademarks or registered trademarks of
Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.
• SDXC, SDHC and SD Logos are trademarks of SD-3C, LLC.
• PictBridge is a trademark.
• All other trade names mentioned in this manual or the other documentation provided
with your Nikon product are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective
FreeType License (FreeType2)
• Portions of this software are copyright © 2012 The FreeType Project
MIT License (HarfBuzz)
• Portions of this software are copyright © 2016 The HarfBuzz Project
Caring for the Product
Do Not Drop
The product may malfunction if subjected to strong shock or vibration.
Keep away from Strong Magnetic Fields
Do not use or store this device in the vicinity of equipment that generates strong
electromagnetic radiation or magnetic fields. Strong static charge or the magnetic fields
produced by equipment such as radio transmitters could interfere with the monitor,
damage data saved on the memory card, or affect the product’s internal circuitry.
Notes About the Monitor
• Monitors and electronic viewfinders are constructed with extremely high precision; at
least 99.99% of pixels are effective, with no more than 0.01% being missing or defective.
Hence while these displays may contain pixels that are always lit (white, red, blue,
or green) or always off (black), this is not a malfunction and has no effect on images
recorded with the device.
• Images in the monitor may be difficult to see under bright lighting.
• The monitor is lit by an LED backlight. Should the monitor begin to dim or flicker,
contact your Nikon-authorized service representative.
Formatting Memory Cards
The first time you insert a memory card that has been used in another device into this
camera, make sure to format it with this camera. Insert the card into the camera, press the
button, and select Format card in the setup menu.
Disposing of Data Storage Devices
Please note that deleting images or formatting data storage devices such as memory
cards or built-in camera memory does not completely erase the original image data.
Deleted files can sometimes be recovered from discarded storage devices using
commercially available software, potentially resulting in the malicious use of personal
image data. Ensuring the privacy of such data is the user’s responsibility.
Before discarding a data storage device or transferring ownership to another person, erase
all data using commercial deletion software, or format the device and then completely
refill it with images containing no private information (for example, pictures of empty sky).
Care should be taken to avoid injury or damage to property when physically destroying
data storage devices.
Warranty Terms - Nikon Europe Service Warranty
Dear Nikon Customer,
We thank you for your purchasing this Nikon product. Should your Nikon product require
warranty service, please contact the dealer from whom it was purchased or a member of
our authorized service network within the sales territory of Nikon Europe B.V. (e.g. Europe/
Russia/others). See details under:
carefully before contacting the dealer or our authorized service network.
Your Nikon equipment is guaranteed against any manufacturing defects for one full year
from the date of original purchase. If during this period of guarantee the product proves
defective due to improper material or workmanship, our authorized service network
within the sales territory of Nikon Europe B.V. will, without charge for labor and parts,
repair the product in the terms and conditions set as below. Nikon reserves the right (at its
sole discretion) to replace or repair the product.
1. This warranty is only provided upon presentation of the completed warranty card
and original invoice or purchase receipt indicating the date of purchase, product
type and dealer’s name, together with the product. Nikon reserves the right to refuse
free-of-charge warranty service if the above documents cannot be presented or if the
information contained in it is incomplete or illegible.
2. This warranty will not cover:
• necessary maintenance and repair or replacement of parts due to normal wear and
• modifications to upgrade the product from its normal purpose as described in user
manuals, without the prior written consent of Nikon.
• transport costs and all risks of transport relating directly or indirectly to the warranty
of the products.
• any damage resulting from modifications or adjustments which may be made to the
product, without the prior written consent of Nikon, in order to comply with local or
national technical standards in force in any other country than the ones for which
the product was originally designed and/or manufactured.
3. The warranty will not be applicable in the case of:
• damage caused by misuse including but not limited to failure to use the product
for its normal purpose or according to the user instructions on the proper use and
maintenance, and to installation or use of the product inconsistent with the safety
standards in force in the country where it is used.
• damage caused by accidents including but not limited to lightning, water, fire,
misuse or neglect.
• defacing, illegibility or removal of the model or serial number on the product.
• damage resulting from repairs or adjustments which have been conducted by
unauthorized service organizations or persons.
• defects in any system into which the product is incorporated or with which it is
4. This service warranty does not affect the consumer’s statutory rights under applicable
national laws in force, nor the consumer’s right against the dealer arising from their
Notice: An overview of all authorized Nikon Service Stations can be found online by