Information about your boat – Garmin GPSMAP 740s User Manual
GPSMAP 700 Series Owner’s Manual
4. Complete an action:
• Select Navigation Chart Setup > overlay Numbers.
• Select Fishing Chart Setup > overlay Numbers.
• Select overlay Numbers.
5. Select Show Compass Tape.
Using the Speed Filter
The speed filter averages the speed of your boat over a short period of time for smoother speed values.
1. From the Home screen, select Configure > System > GPS.
2. Complete an action:
• Select Speed Filter > on to keep the speed filter on continuously, enter the speed filter time duration
and select Done.
• Select Speed Filter > Auto to allow the unit to provide the optimal performance as required by your
situation, such as traveling at a constant speed or frequently changing speeds.
You can show and configure information about other vessels for the Navigation chart, the Fishing chart,
Perspective 3D, or Mariner’s Eye 3D.
NoTe: To configure Automatic Identification System (AIS) information for other vessels, your chartplotter
must be connected to an external AIS device.
Viewing a List of AIS Targets
See “Viewing a List of AIS Targets” (
Configuring the Appearance of Other Vessels
NoTe: The Mariner’s Eye 3D chart is available if you use a BlueChart g2 Vision SD card. The Fishing chart
is available if you use a BlueChart g2 Vision SD card or a BlueChart g2 SD card, or if your built-in map
supports Fishing charts.
1. From the Home screen, select Charts.
2. Select Navigation Chart, Fishing Chart, Perspective 3D, or Mariner’s eye 3D.
3. Select Menu > other Vessels > AIS Display Setup.
4. Complete an action:
• Select AIS List to view a list of AIS targets (
• Select DSC List to view a log of the most-recent DSC calls and other DSC contacts you have entered
• Select AIS Display Setup to configure how AIS vessels are shown on a chart (
• Select DSC Trails to show the tracks of DSC vessels, and select the length of the track that appears
• Select AIS Alarm to set up a safe-zone collision alarm for AIS vessels (
Information about Your Boat
Calibrating a Water Speed Device
If you have a speed-sensing transducer, you can calibrate that speed-sensing device.
1. From the Home screen, select Configure > My Boat > Calibrate Water Speed.
2. Follow the on-screen instructions.
NoTe: If the boat is not moving fast enough or the speed sensor is not registering a speed, a “Speed too
low” message appears. Select oK, and safely increase the boat speed. If the message appears again, stop
the boat, and ensure that the speed-sensor wheel is not stuck. If the wheel turns freely, check the cable
connections. If you continue to get the message, contact Garmin Product Support.