Hints for great tasting coffee, User maintenance instructions, Additional important safeguards – FARBERWARE PROGRAMMABLE COFFEEMAKER FCM12SS User Manual
HINTS FOR GREAT TASTING COFFEE
• A clean Coffeemaker is essential for making great tasting coffee.
Regular cleaning, as specified in CARE AND CLEANING section
below is highly recommended.
• Always use fresh, cold water in your Coffeemaker.
• Finer grinds, such as drip and ADC coffee, promote fuller extraction
and provide rich, full-bodied coffee. Regular grind will require
slightly more coffee per cup to provide the strength of a finer grind.
• Store coffee in a cool, dry place. Once coffee has been opened,
keep it tightly sealed in the refrigerator to maintain freshness.
• For optimum coffee, buy whole beans and grind them just
• Do not re-use coffee grounds since this will greatly impair
• Reheating coffee is not recommended. Coffee is at its peak flavor
immediately after brewing.
• Small oil droplets on the surface of brewed, black coffee is due to
the extraction of oil from the coffee grounds. Oiliness may occur
more frequently if heavily roasted coffees are used. Over
extraction may also cause oiliness, indicating a need to clean
USER MAINTENANCE INSTRUCTIONS
This appliance requires little maintenance. It contains no user
serviceable parts. Do not try to repair it yourself. Any servicing requiring
disassembly other than cleaning, must be performed by a qualified
appliance repair technician.
CAUTION: Be sure to unplug this appliance before cleaning. To
protect against electrical shock, do not immerse cord, plug or
unit in water or other liquids.
CARE AND CLEANING
1. Always make sure Coffeemaker is unplugged and Base and
Warming Plate are cool before attempting to clean.
2. After daily use, the Removable Filter Basket, Carafe and Carafe Lid
should be washed in warm, soapy water.
3. If necessary, wipe the outside of the Coffeemaker with a soft, damp
cloth and wipe dry. Do not use abrasive cleansers, scouring pads or
Special cleaning of your Coffeemaker is recommended at least once a
month, depending on frequency of use and quality of water used in the
unit. If water in your area is especially hard, the following cleaning
procedure should be performed every 2 weeks, since minerals in water
can detract from the flavor of the coffee and possibly lengthen brew time.
ADDITIONAL IMPORTANT SAFEGUARDS
WARNING: This appliance generates heat and escaping steam during
use. Proper precautions must be taken to prevent the risk of
burns, fires, or other injury to persons or damage to property.
1. All users of this appliance must read and understand this
Instruction Manual before operating or cleaning this appliance.
2. The cord to this appliance should be plugged into a 120V AC
electrical outlet only.
3. Use water only in this appliance! Do not put any other liquids or
food products in this appliance. Do not mix or add anything to the
water placed in this appliance, except as instructed in the User
Maintenance Instructions to clean the appliance.
4. DO NOT attempt to move an appliance containing hot liquids.
Allow appliance to cool completely before moving.
5. Keep appliance at least 4 inches away from walls or other objects
during operation. Do not place any objects on top of appliance
while it is operating. Place the appliance on a surface that is
resistant to heat.
6. If this appliance begins to malfunction during use, press the Power
Select ON/OFF Button OFF, then immediately unplug the cord.
Do not use or attempt to repair the malfunctioning appliance.
7. If this appliance falls or accidentally becomes immersed in water
or any other liquid, unplug it immediately. Do not reach into the
water! Do not use this appliance after it has fallen into or has
become immersed in water. Contact Consumer Service for
examination and repair.
8. Do not leave this appliance unattended during use.
9. The appliance must be left to cool down sufficiently before adding
more water to avoid splattering.
10. Always use fresh, cool water in your appliance. Warm water or
other liquids, except as listed in the CARE AND CLEANING
section, may cause damage to the appliance.
11. DO NOT put Carafe into a microwave.
12. DO NOT leave empty Carafe on Warming Plate when appliance is
turned ON, as the Carafe may crack or become otherwise
13. DO NOT lift Hinged Filter Lid until brewing is complete, and all
parts have cooled.
14. CAUTION: To prevent injury when utilizing Pause & Pour
(drip-stop) feature, replace Carafe within 1 minute of removing
during brewing process.
FBW_FCM12SS_IB_5-1-06 1/5/06 3:14 PM Page 5