Part two – carbon monoxide-the silent killer – Nighthawk KN-COPP-3 User Manual

Page 13

background image

Part Two – Carbon Monoxide-The Silent Killer

Home Safety Tips

What You Can Do...

• Buy only appliances approved by a nationally recognized

testing laboratory.

• Choose fuel-burning appliances that can be vented to

the outdoors, whenever possible.

• Make sure appliances are installed according to

manufacturer’s instructions and local building codes.
Most appliances should be installed by professionals and
should be inspected by the proper authority after

• Have the heating system, vents, chimney and flue

inspected and cleaned by a qualified technician every year.

• Follow manufacturer’s directions for safe operation of all

fuel-burning appliances.

• Examine vents and chimneys regularly for improper

connections, visible rust or stains.

• Open a window when a fireplace or wood-burning stove

is in use, and provide adequate outdoor air for furnace
and water heater.

• Notice problems that could indicate improper appliance

– Decreasing hot water supply
– Furnace unable to heat house or runs constantly
– Sooting, especially on appliances
– Unfamiliar or burning odor
– Yellow or orange flame

• Be aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:

– headaches, dizziness, weakness, sleepiness, nausea,

vomiting, confusion and disorientation.

• Recognize that CO poisoning may be the cause when

family members suffer from flu-like symptoms that don’t
disappear but improve when they leave home for
extended periods of time.

• Install a UL 2034 Listed CO alarm for added safety.

– The Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends

that every residence with fuel-burning appliances be
equipped with a UL Listed CO alarm.

What You Should Not Do...

• Never burn charcoal inside a home, garage, cabin, RV or


• Never install, service, or convert fuel-burning

appliances from one type to another without proper
knowledge, skills and tools.

• Never use a gas range, oven, or clothes dryer for heating.

• Never operate unvented gas-burning appliances, such as

kerosene or natural gas space heaters, in a closed room.

• Never operate gasoline-powered engines (like vehicles,

motorcycles, lawn mowers, yard equipment or power tools)
in confined areas such as garages or basements, even if an
outside door or window is open.

• Never ignore a safety device when it shuts off an appliance.

• Never ignore a CO alarm.

Be Aware of the Warning Signs of Carbon
Monoxide: Clues You Can See...

• Streaks of carbon or soot around the service door of your

fuel-burning appliances.

• A yellow or orange flame may indicate a problem with

natural gas appliances.

• Excessive rusting on flue pipes or appliance jackets.

• Loose or missing furnace panel.

• Moisture collecting on the windows and walls of furnace


• Loose or disconnected vent/chimney, fireplace or appliance.

• Small amounts of water leaking from the base of the

chimney, vent or flue pipe.

• Rust on the portion of the vent pipe visible from outside

your home.

• The absence of a draft in your chimney (indicating


• Fallen soot from the fireplace chimney.

• Loose, damaged or discolored bricks on your chimney.

Clues You Cannot See...

• Internal appliance damage or malfunctioning components

• Improper burner adjustment

• Hidden blockage or damage in chimneys


810-1368 AC PP 12/99 8/24/00 2:06 PM Page 14