Nighthawk KN-COPP-3 User Manual

Page 14

background image

Part Three – What You Should Know Before the Alarm Sounds

Learn the difference between dangerous levels,
high levels, mid levels and low levels:
Dangerous levels,
when someone is experiencing symptoms
of CO poisoning and CO readings are generally
above 100
Anytime someone is experiencing the symptoms of carbon
monoxide poisoning this should be treated as an EMERGENCY.
Follow the instructions on page 4-1.

High levels, generally above 100 ppm, with no one experi-
encing symptoms.
This should be treated as an URGENT situation.
Follow the instructions on page 4-1.

Mid levels, generally between 50 ppm to 100 ppm. This should
be cause for CONCERN and should not be ignored or dismissed.
Follow the instructions on page 4-1.

Low levels, generally below 50 ppm. This indicates a need to
watch the situation closely to see if it resolves itself or worsens.
Follow the instructions on page 4-2.

Determine if anyone in the household is at high risk
for CO poisoning:
Many cases of reported carbon monoxide poisoning indicate that
while victims are aware they are not well, they become so disorient-
ed they are unable to save themselves by either exiting the building
or calling for assistance.

You should take extra precautions to protect high risk persons
from CO exposure because they may experience ill effects from car-
bon monoxide at levels that would not ordinarily affect a healthy adult.
Are there any infants or small children in the home? Be sure to check
them for signs of possible CO poisoning because they might have
trouble explaining their symptoms. Infants and children are more
susceptible to CO poisoning than a healthy adult.

Pregnant women should be aware that their unborn fetus could be
harmed by exposure to carbon monoxide, even when the mother
suffers no ill effect herself. Any pregnant woman who suspects she
may have been exposed to carbon monoxide should immediately
contact her physician.

Is there anyone in the household who is elderly, or who has anemia,
heart disease or respiratory problems, emphysema or chronic bron-
chitis? These individuals are at higher risk for CO poisoning and for
health problems from exposure to low levels of carbon monoxide.

If anyone in the household is at high risk for CO poisoning, we urge
you to take extra precaution to prevent possible poisoning. If the
unit alarms or if CO readings are shown on the digital display,
remove the at-risk person from the premises, if possible. Ventilate the
area. The high-risk person(s) should not re-enter the residence until
the source of the CO problem has been identified and corrected.

Low Levels:
Generally 50 ppm and

Mid Levels:
Generally 50 ppm to
100 ppm.

High Levels:
Generally 100 ppm and
above if no one is
experiencing symptoms.

Dangerous Levels:
Generally 100 ppm and
above if someone is
experiencing symptoms.

The maximum allowable concentration for continuous exposure for healthy adults
in any 8-hour period, according to OSHA*.

Slight headache, fatigue, dizziness, nausea after 2-3 hours.

Frontal headaches within 1-2 hours, life threatening after 3 hours.

Dizziness, nausea and convulsions within 45 minutes. Unconsciousness within
2 hours. Death within 2-3 hours.

Headache, dizziness and nausea within 20 minutes. Death within 1 hour.

Headache, dizziness and nausea within 5-10 minutes. Death within 25-30 minutes.

Headache, dizziness and nausea within 1-2 minutes. Death within 10-15 minutes.

Death within 1-3 minutes.

50 ppm

200 ppm

400 ppm

800 ppm

1,600 ppm

3,200 ppm

6,400 ppm

12,800 ppm

Reminder: This chart relates to the exposure of healthy adults. Read the info above for descriptions of those who are
at higher risk.


of CO in Air

(ppm = parts per million)

Approximate Inhalation Time and Symptoms Developed

Understand the Effects of Carbon Monoxide Exposure:

* Occupational Safety and Health Administration


810-1368 AC PP 12/99 8/24/00 2:06 PM Page 15