For your safety, Ii for your safety – Nikon D40 User Manual
For Your Safety
For Your Safety
To prevent damage to your Nikon product or injury to yourself or to others, read the follow-
ing safety precautions in their entirety before using this equipment. Keep these safety
instructions where all those who use the product will read them.
The consequences that could result from failure to observe the precautions listed in this
section are indicated by the following symbol:
This icon marks warnings. To prevent possible injury, read all warnings before using this Nikon
Do not look at the sun through the viewfinder
Viewing the sun or other strong light source through
the viewfinder could cause permanent visual impair-
Using the viewfinder diopter control
When operating the viewfinder diopter control with
your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to
put your finger in your eye accidentally.
Turn off immediately in the event of malfunction
Should you notice smoke or an unusual smell coming
from the equipment or AC adapter (available sepa-
rately), unplug the AC adapter and remove the battery
immediately, taking care to avoid burns. Continued
operation could result in injury. After removing the
battery, take the equipment to a Nikon-authorized ser-
vice center for inspection.
Do not disassemble
Touching the product’s internal parts could result in
injury. In the event of malfunction, the product should
be repaired only by a qualified technician. Should the
product break open as the result of a fall or other acci-
dent, remove the battery and/or AC adapter and then
take the product to a Nikon-authorized service center
Do not use in the presence of flammable gas
Do not use electronic equipment in the presence of
flammable gas, as this could result in explosion or fire.
Keep out of reach of children
Failure to observe this precaution could result in injury.
Do not place the strap around the neck of an infant or child
Placing the camera strap around the neck of an infant
or child could result in strangulation.
Observe proper precautions when handling batteries
Batteries may leak or explode if improperly handled.
Observe the following precautions when handling bat-
teries for use in this product:
• Use only batteries approved for use in this equipment.
• Do not short or disassemble the battery.
• Be sure the product is off before replacing the battery.
If you are using an AC adapter, be sure it is unplugged.
• Do not attempt to insert the battery upside down or
• Do not expose the battery to flame or to excessive
• Do not immerse in or expose to water.
• Replace the terminal cover when transporting the bat-
tery. Do not transport or store the battery with metal
objects such as necklaces or hairpins.
• Batteries are prone to leakage when fully discharged.
To avoid damage to the product, be sure to remove the
battery when no charge remains.
• When the battery is not in use, attach the terminal
cover and store in a cool, dry place.
• The battery may be hot immediately after use or when
the product has been used on battery power for an
extended period. Before removing the battery turn the
camera off and allow the battery to cool.
• Discontinue use immediately should you notice any
changes in the battery, such as discoloration or defor-
Observe proper precautions when handling the quick charger
• Keep dry. Failure to observe this precaution could
result in fire or electric shock.
• Dust on or near the metal parts of the plug should be
removed with a dry cloth. Continued use could result
• Do not handle the power cable or go near the charger
during thunderstorms. Failure to observe this precau-
tion could result in electric shock.
• Do not damage, modify, or forcibly tug or bend the
power cable. Do not place it under heavy objects or
expose it to heat or flame. Should the insulation be
damaged and the wires become exposed, take the
power cable to a Nikon-authorized service representa-
tive for inspection. Failure to observe this precaution
could result in fire or electric shock.
• Do not handle the plug or charger with wet hands.
Failure to observe this precaution could result in elec-