North Star 8000 IPG User Manual
Owner’s manual, Warning, Stop
Instructions for Installation/Set-up, Operation, Servicing, & Storage
Portable, Outdoor Use-Only, Industrial Gasoline Generator
6,600 Watt Continuous (8,000 Watt Surge) Capacity
Can be used to power individual appliances plugged directly into the generator’s outlets, or as a back-up
connection to a building’s power supply (via a professionally installed UL-approved transfer switch.
READ and UNDERSTAND this manual completely before using the generator! Failure to properly set up,
operate, and maintain this generator could result in serious injury or death from carbon monoxide poisoning,
electric shock, fire/explosion, or burns. In particular, be aware of the following hazards:
Generators give off carbon monoxide, a poisonous gas that can kill you. You CANNOT smell it, see it, or taste it.
• ONLY run generator OUTDOORS and AWAY from building air intakes. NEVER run generator inside any enclosed or
semi-enclosed spaces, including homes, basements, garages, sheds, boxes, RVs, boats or pick-up truck beds. These
spaces can trap poisonous gases, EVEN if you run a fan or open windows.
• Install carbon monoxide alarms inside nearby structures/buildings (battery-operated, or plug-in with battery backup).
Electric shock / Electrocution
• High voltage electricity from generator can kill. DO NOT operate in wet locations. Be sure generator is properly
grounded. Use only UL-listed, outdoor-rated grounded extension cords of proper size.
• NEVER plug the generator directly into a wall outlet. ANY connection to a building’s electrical system MUST
ISOLATE THE GENERATOR FROM UTILITY POWER via a UL-approved transfer switch installed by a licensed
electrician. Otherwise, back feed from the generator into the power grid could kill utility workers.
Fire / Explosion
• DO NOT overload generator (per rated capacity), and OPERATE ONLY in an area with adequate cooling ventilation so
engine does not overheat. Exhaust can be extremely hot. Keep muffler at least 7’ from all combustible objects.
• All fuels are flammable. Never fuel a running or hot engine. Never pump fuel directly into generator at gas station – use
approved container to transfer fuel. Ensure there are no fuel leaks, and keep sources of sparks and flames away.
• ALWAYS keep a fire extinguisher rated “ABC” nearby.
CHOOSE THE RIGHT GENERATOR FOR YOUR NEEDS. See the “Power load Planning & Management” section
of this manual to determine your power load requirements and then compare to the generator’s rated capacity.
INSPECT COMPONENTS: Closely inspect to make sure no components are missing or damaged. See the “Unpacking
& Delivery Inspection” section for instructions on whom to contact to report missing or damaged parts.
ARRANGE FOR PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION of a transfer switch if you will be connecting the generator
to your building’s electrical system. See the “Installation/Initial Set-Up” section for more information about this
Any Questions, Comments, Problems, or Parts Orders
Call NorthStar Product Support 1-800-270-0810
ITEM NUMBER: 165920
SERIAL NUMBER: _____________