Rev limiter, Common mag pickup wires – MSD 5520 Street Fire Ignition Control Installation User Manual
S T R E E T F I R E
• W W W . S T R E E T - F I R E . C O M • ( 9 1 5 ) 8 5 7 - 5 2 0 0 • F A X ( 9 1 5 ) 8 5 7 - 3 3 4 4
Ballast Resistor: If your vehicle has a ballast resistor in line with
the coil wiring, it is recommended to bypass it.
The Street Fire wires should be routed away from direct heat
sources such as exhaust manifolds and headers and any sharp
edges. The trigger wires should be routed separate from the
other wires and spark plug wires. It is best if they are routed along
a ground plane such as the block or firewall which creates an
electrical shield. The magnetic pickup wires should always be
routed separately and should be twisted together to help reduce
The Street Fire Ignition features an adjustable rev limiter. This feature will protect
your engine from overrev damge in the event of driveline failure or a missed gear.
The rev limit is adjustable from 2,000 - 9,900 rpm in 100 rpm increments (Figure 3).
PRESTART CHECK LIST
• The only wires connected to the coil terminals are the Street Fire Orange to
coil positive and Black to coil negative.
• The small Red wire of the CDI is connected to a switched 12 volt source.
• If running a 4 or 6-cylinder engine the cylinder select must be modified.
• The power leads are connected directly to the battery positive and negative
• The battery is connected and fully charged if not using an alternator.
• The engine is equipped with at least one ground strap to the chassis.
The chart in Figure 2 shows the polarity of other common
Figure 2 Common Mag Pickup Wires.
Common Mag Pickup Wires
MSD Crank Trigger
Street Fire CDI
WARNING: The Street Fire CDI is a capacitive discharge ignition. High voltage is present at the coil primary
terminals. Do not touch the coil or connect test equipment to the terminals.
STREET FIRE SYSTEMS Installing to Points/Amplifier Style Ignition.
NOTE: On dual point setups, it is recommended
to remove the trailing set of points.
NOTE: Ballast Resistor is not necessary.
NOTE: Remove the coil
terminal wires. The negative
wire connects to the Street
Fire White. The positive wire
connects to the Street Fire
Red. The Street Fire Orange
connects to the coil positive
terminal, Black connects to
the coil negative terminal.
Figure 3 Adjusting the Rev Limiter.