Quick start installation instructions – Irritrol RainSensor User Manual
Quick Start Installation Instructions
The following instructions are provided for the experienced installer.
Refer to Figures 3–5 below.
Note: When installing Sensor/Transmitter model RFS1000 for freeze detection, refer
to additional freeze sensor installation information on page 8.
1. Disconnect power to the irrigation system controller.
2. Always mount the Receiver FIRST, adjacent to the controller with either the
provided stainless steel screws or double-sided foam tape.
3. Attach Receiver control wires to the sensor inputs OR to break the valve common:
a. Disconnect common valve wire and common pump/master valve wire (if present).
b. Attach White wire to common wire(s) with a wire connector.
c. Attach Brown wire (only) to common terminal on controller.
4. Connect the Red wires to the controller’s 24 VAC power source terminals.
5. Straighten the Receiver antenna wire upward and the Sensor/Transmitter antenna
6. While holding the Sensor/Transmitter at close range to the Receiver, press and
hold the spindle to test the wiring. The Power, Signal and Sensor Status indicators
should be ON.
7. Adjust the Rainfall Adjustment Cap to the desired rainfall activation amount.
8. Adjust the Vent Ring to the desired dry-out rate.
9. Mount the Sensor/Transmitter in an unobstructed location away from sprinklers.
Important: Reconfirm proper operation of the Sensor/Transmitter at the
final mounting location.
To 24 VAC
To 24 VAC
To Sensor Terminal or to Break Valve Common
To Sensor Terminal (Normally Closed)
or to Break Valve Common
To Sensor Terminal (Normally Open)
(For Normally Open sensor, see Detailed Instructions)
Rain gutter (cross section view)
Do not over-tighten
Press and hold
down to test