Installation – Network Instruments Observer User Manual
Observer® Quick Start Manual
Check the system requirements in the Observer User Guide to make sure that
your system meets the hardware and software requirements necessary to run
You can install Observer from a CD-ROM or from the Internet. Network
Instruments recommends that you install Observer from the Internet. The
latest version of Observer is available via anonymous ftp on the Network
Instruments’ ftp site at:
To begin the download, you may either:
1. Download OBSDEMO.EXE to an empty temporary directory and run it,
2. Insert the Observer CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive.
3. When the setup program autoruns, follow the instructions on the screen.
Once the executable file is run, you will be taken through the following
1. Setup will ask you to choose a language; select your preferred language
and click on the N
2. You will be asked if you are installing Observer, an Advanced Probe, or
an RMON Probe. Select “Observer” and click on the N
3. Setup will ask you in which directory you would like to install Observer.
Unless you have a specific reason to install Observer elsewhere, install
Observer in the default directory.
4. Check the README.WRI for any additional information.