Converting the lower element (cont'd), A warning, Awarning – Maytag HE21250PC User Manual
Page 13: Instructions for installation (cont'd)
Attention! The text in this document has been recognized automatically. To view the original document, you can use the "Original mode".
Instructions for Installation (cont'd)
Converting the Lower Element
1. Before beginning the conversion turn “OFF” electric
power supply to the water heater.
HAZARD OF ELECTRICAL SHOCK! Before removing
any access panels or servicing the water heater,
make sure the electrical supply to the water heater
is turned "OFF". FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD
RESULT IN DEATH, SERIOUS BODILY INJURY, OR
2. The convertible element is located behind the lower access
panel of the water heater. Remove the screw securing the
access panel, and remove panel.
3. Remove the flap of insulation to expose the opening.
4. Remove the screws from terminal 2 of the element, and
move the looped end of the wire aside.
5. The buss bar is labeled 5500 W. Place the buss bar over ter
and 3 with the 5500 W visible. Install the extra
screw provided into terminal 3.
6. The wire removed from terminal 2 has a looped end. It
must remain looped and now be placed (as shown) on top
of the buss bar, over the opening of terminal 2, and secured
using the remaining screw.
7. Tighten terminals 2 and 3 to ensure proper electrical con
Failure to tighten terminal screws can cause a fire
which can result in DEATH, SERIOUS BODILY INJURY,
OR PROPERTY DAMAGE.