122 cm (48 in.) and 137 cm (54 in.) mower decks, Service engine, Engine warranty maintenance statement – John Deere la105 User Manual
Page 26: Avoid fumes, Engine oil, The following john deere oils are preferred, Checking engine oil level
Service Engine - 25
122 cm (48 in.) and 137 cm (54 in.) Mower Decks:
Picture Note: 122 cm (48 in.) mower deck used for illustration.
A- Deck Idler Pivot
B- Spindle Grease Fitting (3)
• Lubricate the deck idler pivot (A) with a general all-purpose spray
• Lubricate the three spindle grease fittings (B) with one or two shots of
general all-purpose grease.
Engine Warranty Maintenance Statement
Maintenance, repair, or replacement of the emission control devices and
systems on this engine, which are being done at the customer’s expense,
may be performed by any non-road engine repair establishment or
individual. Warranty repairs must be performed by an authorized John
Use oil viscosity based on the expected air temperature range during the
period between oil changes.
The following John Deere oils are preferred:
• PLUS- 4™
Other oils may be used if above John Deere oils are not available,
provided they meet the following specification:
• API Service Classification SJ or higher
Checking Engine Oil Level
NOTE: Check oil twice a day if you run engine over 4 hours in a day.
Make sure engine is cold when checking engine oil level.
1. Park machine safely. (See Parking Safely in the SAFETY section.)
2. Lift hood.
3. Clean area around dipstick to prevent debris from falling into crankcase.
Picture Note: Twin cylinder engine shown.
4. Remove dipstick (A). Wipe with clean cloth.
5. Install and tighten dipstick.
CAUTION: Avoid injury! Engine exhaust fumes contain
carbon monoxide and can cause serious illness or death.
Do not run an engine in an enclosed area, such as a garage, even
with doors or windows opened.
Move the machine to an outside area before running the engine.
IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Failure to check the oil level
regularly could lead to serious engine problems if oil level is out
of the operating range:
• Check oil level before operating.
• Check oil level when the engine is cold and not running.
• Keep oil level between the dipstick marks.
• Shut off engine before adding oil.