Appendix – Sharp VL-Z7U User Manual
Mini DV Cassette
Precautions when using a Mini DV
• Be sure to use only Mini DV cassettes with
the i mark.
• This camcorder can record and play back
using Mini DV cassettes with cassette
memory, but it cannot record or play back
• To record in LP mode, use a Mini DV
cassette labeled for use with LP mode.
• Do not insert anything into the holes on the
bottom of the Mini DV cassette or block
them in any way.
• Avoid placing the Mini DV cassette in
areas conducive to dust or mold.
• Do not place the Mini DV cassette near
magnetic sources such as electric clocks
or magnetic devices as this may adversely
affect recorded material.
• When a previously recorded Mini DV
cassette is used again for recording, the
previously recorded material will be
• The Mini DV cassette will not operate if
inserted in the wrong direction.
• Do not repeatedly insert and eject the Mini
DV cassette without running the tape as
this may cause uneven tape winding and
damage the tape.
• Do not place the Mini DV cassette in direct
sunlight, near strong heat sources, or in
areas with excessive steam.
• Store the Mini DV cassette in its case and
stand it in an upright position.
• If the tape is not properly wound, rewind
• Do not drop the Mini DV cassette or
subject it to excessive shocks.
To protect recordings against
Slide the protect tab on the rear of the Mini
DV cassette to the “SAVE” position.
To record over a previously recorded tape,
slide the protect tab to the “REC” position.
Erasure protect tab
The digital VCR has far superior recording
and playback ability than the traditional
analog VCR, and in order to protect digital
video software copyrights, a system for
managing copyrights has been established.
Some digital video recording with prere-
corded copyright protection signals can still
be played back on this camcorder. If you
play a digital video recording that has a
copyright protection signal on video
equipment with a DV terminal and attempt
to record a copy of that software on this
camcorder, “COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.”
appears on the screen and the recording is
This product incorporates copyright
protection technology that is protected
by method claims of certain U.S. patents
and other intellectual property rights
owned by Macrovision Corporation and
other rights owners. Use of this copyright
protection technology must be autho-
rized by Macrovision Corporation, and is
intended for home and other limited
viewing uses only unless otherwise
authorized by Macrovision Corporation.
Reverse engineering or disassembly is