Intek RheoVac DR User Manual
- 7 -
Figure 4 Probe Stop
4. If using a hottap: install the mounting hardware; drill a 1½” through-hole, center the
thread-o-let over the hole and weld it onto the dryer vacuum pipe; thread the hottap
assembly into the thread-o-let. Use thread tape or pipe dope to seal the connection.
Alternate: weld thread-o-let to pipe wall, then drill a 1½" hole in pipe wall using a hottap
5. Make sure the probes are parallel to the floor (see Figure 3). Be sure location is
accessible for probe removal and maintenance.
B. Installing/Removing the Probe
1. Check proper installation direction and probe orientation. The FTP probe has a
directional arrow on the junction box. Before installing the unit, note proper flow
direction. This is important to instrument operation.
2. Check serial number (S/N). If more than one RheoVac DR system has been purchased,
make sure the first five digits of the serial numbers of the probe(s) match the first five
digits of the serial number of the main processor unit. The electronics and probe pairs
are a matched set. Mismatched components will not work correctly. The dash number
on the probe S/N is the probe number shown on the display. Record the probe pair
number and installation location for future reference.
3. Verify stop clamp location (see Figure 4). A stop clamp is attached to each FTP probe
as an indication of its insertion depth. It is important that the stop clamp is securely in
place to position the sensors in the correct location and to ensure that the probes do not
contact the opposite pipe wall. Contact with the pipe wall
could damage the probe. The clamp’s location is determined
based on your submitted pipe diameter, as shown in
SECTION 6.2, and is marked with a groove on each probe
shaft. Refer to this mark if a stop clamp is inadvertently
moved. When installed in the line, the sensors in the probe
should be positioned in the middle of the pipe.
4. Prior to inserting probe, loosen the compression nut on the
thermocouple connector of the hot tap or the NPT fitting and
clean the inner surface of the thermocouple connector to
ensure it is free of particles that may cause probe damage.
5. Be sure to power up your RheoVac DR instrument system
and probe pair for at least 30 minutes before inserting probes
into the vent line. DO NOT leave probes in vent line
6. Install probes. The probes should be mounted through the
pipe wall using the hottap assembly or NPT fitting.
a. The FTP probe installs so that the two sensor tips are
side-by-side across the gas stream. Each probe has a
flow directional arrow on the junction box. Make sure
the probe orientation is correct.
b. The RS probe does not have an orientation requirement.
The RS probe has a 4 foot (1.2 m) cable with a plug-in
connector (with attached dust cap) for connecting to the
FTP probe. Unscrew the dust caps on the RS cable and
the FTP probe junction box, plug the cable connector in
securely first, before inserting the RS probe in the line.