SINGER 221-1 Featherweight User Manual
Attention! The text in this document has been recognized automatically. To view the original document, you can use the "Original mode".
THE FOOT HEMMER
The foot hemmer
forms and stitches
a perfectly turned
hem without bast
ing or pressing. It
is attached to the
machine in place of
the presser foot.
Hemming with lace
Hemmed seams Lingerie finishes
• Form a double fold at the very
edge of the fabric.
• Crease this fold for about 2".
• Draw the needle and bobbin
threads under the hemmer.
• Place the creased hem edge under
the foot and take several stitches
through the fold.
• Grasp the thread ends and the
single fold in front of the hemmer
and lift the single fold into the
Soft fabrics will enter the scroll
best with the foot down, firm crisp
fabrics with the foot raised.
FOOT HEMMER (Cont’d)
• Stitch slowly for several inches until
hem is well started. Hold thread ends in
back of foot with the left hand and
guide the raw fabric edge into the mouth
of the scroll with the right hand.
Even feeding is essential to good hem
ming. The same width of fabric must be
kept in the scroll of the hemmer at all
Hemmed seams are often substituted for
French seams where a fine narrow seam is
• Allow a scant seam allowance.
• With right sides of the fabric together,
place the upper layer a scant to the
left of the lower layer.
• Insert the two fabric edges into the
hemmer and proceed as for a plain hem.