Buttonhole length – SINGER 5147 User Manual
Attention! The text in this document has been recognized automatically. To view the original document, you can use the "Original mode".
2. Mark a position guideiine for each but
• Horizontal buttonholes A are placed to ex
tend 3mm (1/8 inch) beyond the centre
line of the garment C, so that the buttons
will be in the centre of the figure when the
garment is fastened.
• Horizontal buttonhole guidelines should
follow a crosswise fabric thread and be
longer than the finished length of the but
• Mark ends of each buttonhole vertically.
• Vertical buttonholes B are placed so that
the centre line C of the garment is in the
centre of the buttonhole, as shown.
• Mark the ends of each buttonhole horizon
tally across the centre line basting and use
the centre line marking as the buttonhole
guide when stitching.
• The buttonhole length should be just long
enough to allow the button to slip through the
opening without stretching it.
• Buttonhole length is not automatically
gauged with the buttonhole foot. It is neces
sary to estimate the length by measuring the
width plus thickness of the button.
• To make sure the measurement is cprrect,
cut a slit in a scrap of fabric equal to the
diameter of the button you intend to use.
• Increase length of opening until button slips