Determining pounds per acre (brush-type meter), Determining bushels per acre, Determining pounds per acre (brush-type meter) -20 – Kinze 3500 Lift and Rotate Planter Rev. 7/14 User Manual
Page 32: Determining bushels per acre -20
3. Measure 1∕1000 of an acre. See chart for correct distance for row width being planted. For example, if planting 30"
of an acre would be 17' 5".
NOTE: Seeds may bounce or roll when planting with closing wheels raised and planting depth set
shallow affecting seed spacing accuracy.
4. Count seeds in measured distance.
5. Multiply number of seeds placed in 1∕1000 of an acre by 1000. This gives total population.
Seed count can be affected by drive wheel and seed meter drive ratio, tire pressure, and/or seed meter malfunction.
1. If seed check shows average distance between seeds in inches is significantly different than seed rate chart
indicates, first check drive ratio between drive wheel and seed meter. Check drive wheel air pressure, check for
incorrect sprocket(s) in driveline and check drive and driven sprockets on transmission(s) for proper selection.
2. Check for seed meter malfunction. For example, if spacing between kernels of corn at the transmission setting
being used is 8" and a gap of 16" is observed, a finger has lost its seed and not functioned properly. If two seeds
are found within a short distance of each other, finger has metered two seeds instead of one.
3. See “Seed Meter (Finger Pickup) Troubleshooting” and/or “Seed Meter (Brush-Type) Troubleshooting” in
Troubleshooting Section of this manual.
Acre Seed Population Count Row Width/Distance
EXAMPLE: 30" row spacing 17' 5" equals 1∕1000 acre.
26 seeds counted x 1000 = 26,000 seeds per acre
DETERMINING POUNDS PER ACRE (bRUSH-TYPE METER)
Seeds per acre ÷ Seeds per pound (from label) = Pounds per acre
If seeds per pound information is not available use the following averages:
2,600 seeds per pound for medium size soybeans
15,000 seeds per pound for medium size milo/grain sorghum
4,500 seeds per pound for medium size cotton
DETERMINING bUSHELS PER ACRE
Pounds per acre ÷ Seed unit weight = Bushels per acre
Average Unit Weight of:
1 Bushel Soybeans = 60 Pounds
1 Bushel Milo/Grain Sorghum = 56 Pounds
1 Bushel Cotton = 32 Pounds
If seed population check shows planting rate is significantly different than seed rate chart shows or if a particular
meter is not planting accurately, see “Brush-Type Seed Meter Maintenance” and “Seed Meter (Brush-Type)