Hardware installation, Planning the storage configuration – Dell POWERVAULT MD3620F User Manual
Before using this guide, ensure that you review the instructions in the:
• Getting Started Guide—The Getting Started Guide that shipped with the
storage array provides information to configure the initial setup of the system.
• Planning section of the Owner’s Manual—The planning section provides
information about important concepts you should know before setting up
your storage solution. See the Owner’s Manual at
• Configuring Fibre Channel With the Dell PowerVault MD3600f Series
Storage Array—This document provides information about configurations,
host bus adapter (HBA) installation, and zoning. See
Planning the Storage Configuration
Consider the following before installing your storage array:
• Evaluate data storage needs and administrative requirements.
• Calculate availability requirements.
• Decide the frequency and level of backups, such as weekly full backups
with daily partial backups.
• Consider storage array options, such as password protection and e-mail
alert notifications for error conditions.
• Design the configuration of virtual disks and disk groups according to a data
organization plan. For example, use one virtual disk for inventory, a second
for financial and tax information, and a third for customer information.
• Decide whether to allow space for hot spares, which automatically replace
failed physical disks.
book.book Page 11 Friday, September 9, 2011 11:26 PM