Disassembly, Disassembly precautions, Tools required – Goulds Pumps 3196 i-FRAME - IOM User Manual
Page 68: Drain the pump
• This manual clearly identifies accepted methods for disassembling units. These methods must be
adhered to. Trapped liquid can rapidly expand and result in a violent explosion and injury. Never
apply heat to impellers, propellers, or their retaining devices to aid in their removal.
• Always disconnect and lock out power to the driver before you perform any installation or
maintenance tasks. Failure to disconnect and lock out driver power will result in serious physical
• Crush hazard. The unit and the components can be heavy. Use proper lifting methods and wear
steel-toed shoes at all times.
• The pump can handle hazardous and toxic fluids. Identify the contents of the pump and observe
proper decontamination procedures in order to eliminate the possible exposure to any hazardous or
toxic fluids. Wear the proper personal protective equipment. Potential hazards include, but are not
limited to, high temperature, flammable, acidic, caustic, explosive, and other risks. You must handle
and dispose of pumped fluid in compliance with the applicable environmental regulations.
Make sure that all replacement parts are available before you disassemble the pump for
In order to disassemble the pump, you need these tools:
• Bearing puller
• Brass drift punch
• Cleaning agents and solvents
• Dial indicators
• Feeler gauges
• Hex wrenches
• Hydraulic press
• Induction heater
• Leveling blocks and shims
• Lifting sling
• Rubber mallet
• Snap-ring pliers
• Torque wrench with sockets
Drain the pump
• Allow all system and pump components to cool before you handle them to prevent physical injury.
• If your pump is a Model NM3171, NM3196, 3198, 3298, V3298, SP3298, 4150, 4550, or 3107 there
is a possible risk of static electric discharge from plastic parts that are not properly grounded. If the
pumped fluid is non-conductive, drain and flush the pump with a conductive fluid under conditions
that will not allow for a spark to be released to the atmosphere.
1. Close the isolation valves on the suction and discharge sides of the pump.
You must drain the system if no valves are installed.
2. Open the drain valve.
Model 3196 i-FRAME Installation, Operation, and Maintenance Manual