Remove the impeller (xlt-i, and i17) – Goulds Pumps 3196 i-FRAME - IOM User Manual
You will insert a new O-ring during reassembly.
Figure 16: O-ring for models 3196, HT 3196, NM 3196, 3198, and 3796
If the impeller cannot be removed by the previous methods, cut the shaft between the gland
and the frame, remove the impeller, stuffing-box cover, gland, sleeve, and shaft end as a unit.
Do not apply heat.
Remove the impeller (XLT-i, and i17)
Never apply heat to remove an impeller. The use of heat may cause an explosion due to trapped liquid,
resulting in severe physical injury and property damage.
Wear heavy work gloves when you handle impellers. The sharp edges can cause physical injury.
Clamp the frame foot (241) to the workbench when you use this method to remove the impeller.
1. Remove the impeller plug (458Y) from the front of the impeller (101) and discard the Teflon
2. Spray penetrating oil through the plug hole into the cavity at the end of the shaft and let it
penetrate for 15 minutes.
3. While waiting, rotate the shaft several times to distribute the oil.
4. Slide the shaft wrench (A05107A) over the shaft (122) and key.
5. Rotate the impeller clockwise (viewed from the impeller end of the shaft) and raise the
wrench off of the work surface.
Model 3196 i-FRAME Installation, Operation, and Maintenance Manual