John Deere 318 User Manual
NOTE: Early model with differential lock shown.
13. If removed, install collar (with differential lock) and
bearings on carriers (F) using a driver set and a press.
Install bearings flush with shaft surfaces.
NOTE: Carriers on later models have oil grooves, an oil
hole and a thrust washer in carriers.
Machines without differential lock have one thrust
washer in each carrier. Machines with differential
lock have one thrust washer and one new style
carrier on the non-differential lock side only.
All service or replacement carriers will have these
14. Install thrust washers, if equipped, in carriers (F).
15. Assemble carriers (F), ring gear (E), pinion gears
(A), bevel gears (C), cross shaft (D), and pinion blocks
If equipped with differential lock, install bevel gear with
holes (G) toward carrier with lock pins and collar.
16. Clean the threads of all six cap screws and threaded
carrier, using Clean and Cure Primer. Apply thread lock
A—Pinion Gear (2 used)
and sealer (medium strength) to the threads of cap
B—Pinion Block (2 used)
C—Bevel Gear (2 used)
17. Install cap screws and tighten to 53 N·m (39 lb-ft).
F—Carrier (2 used)
G—Bevel Gear with Holes
18. If equipped with differential lock, assemble shift rod,
snap ring (E), washers (B), springs (C), fork (D), and
A—E-Ring (3 used)
B—Washer (3 used)
C—Spring (2 used)
316, 318 & 420 Lawn and Garden Tractors