Inspect and replace wheel bearings, Adjust toe-in – John Deere 318 User Manual
INSPECT AND REPLACE WHEEL BEARINGS
1. Remove front wheels.
2. The front wheels are equipped with sealed roller
bearings in both the front and rear of hub. Check the
bearings for damage by spinning the inner race by hand.
If the bearing binds or shows excessive wear, it must be
3. Tap the bearings out from the back side with a long
drift and a hammer.
4. Install new bearings using a driver set.
1. Position wheels so they are pointing straight ahead.
2. Measure distance between the inner edges of the tires
at the rear.
3. Measure front distance between tires. When properly
adjusted, front distance should be 4.8 mm (3/16 in.)
shorter than rear distance (a slight toe-in).
Front Axle/Adjust Toe-in
316, 318 & 420 Lawn and Garden Tractors