John Deere 318 User Manual
2. Remove four cap screws (A).
3. Remove output shaft assembly and housing from gear
4. Remove shims (C).
5. Punch a hole in seal (D) and pry out of housing (L).
6. Bend out exterior locking tab on toothed washer (E)
from lock nut (F).
7. Turn lock nut (F) counterclockwise using a hammer
and punch. Remove lock nut.
8. Bend interior locking tab on toothed washer (E) away
from groove in shaft (I). Remove toothed washer.
9. Remove tabbed washer (G) and bearing cone (H).
10. Remove output shaft assembly (I) from housing (L).
NOTE: Bearing cups are press-fit in housing. Remove
bearing cups only if replacement is necessary.
Bearing cones and cups are matched and must
be replaced as complete assemblies.
Output Shaft Side
11. Inspect bearing cups (K and J) for wear or damage.
Replace if necessary.
12. Remove bearing cups using a brass drift or punch
A—Cap Screw (4 used)
C—Shims (as required)
I—Output Shaft Assembly
Mower Gear Case Repair/260 Rotary Mower
316, 318 & 420 Lawn and Garden Tractors