Assemble mower gear case—260 rotary mower – John Deere 318 User Manual
ASSEMBLE MOWER GEAR CASE—260
IMPORTANT: Always use new seals. Damaged or
used seals will leak.
NOTE: Apply clean gear case oil on all internal parts
1. Install key (I) into input shaft (E).
2. Press bevel gear (G), tapered end first, onto shaft (E)
3. Press bearing cone (H) on shaft with small O.D.
facing away from bevel gear (G). Install both bearing
cone and bevel gear until bearing bottoms against shaft.
4. Press bearing cone (F) onto other end of input shaft
(E) with small O.D. facing away from bevel gear.
IMPORTANT: Do not press seal in until seated or
bottomed out. Seal will become
damaged and will leak.
5. Press new seal (C) into cap (A) until top of seal is
flush with first recess inside cap.
Input Shaft Assembly
6. Apply multipurpose grease to lip of seal.
7. Install new bearing cup (D), if removed, using a driver
B—Shims (as required)
IMPORTANT: Tape end of input shaft to prevent seal
damage during shaft installation.
8. Apply tape around end of input shaft.
9. Assemble input shaft assembly and cap (A). Remove
10. Install shims (B) on cap (A).
Mower Gear Case Repair/260 Rotary Mower
316, 318 & 420 Lawn and Garden Tractors