Inspect and replace pivot bushings—316 and 318, Remove front axle—420 – John Deere 318 User Manual
6. Place a floor jack under center of axle.
7. Remove cotter pin from pivot bolt.
8. Remove pivot bolt nut and remove bolt through axle
(towards rear). Remove axle.
9. Inspect axle and pivot bushings for damage or wear.
(See procedure in this group.)
10. Installation is done in the reverse order of removal.
• Apply multipurpose grease to pivot bolt before
• Tighten pivot bolt nut until axle is snug, but still free to
• Adjust axle deflector adjustment bolts for smooth up
and down operation of axle. Axle should move freely
without sticking in one spot.
INSPECT AND REPLACE PIVOT
BUSHINGS—316 AND 318
1. Inspect pivot bushings (A) and pivot bolt for wear or
damage. The pivot bolt should not be bent or have
2. Replace bushings if necessary, using a driver set.
3. Inspect the axle for bends, cracks, or damage.
Replace any damaged components.
REMOVE FRONT AXLE—420
1. Raise front of machine and block securely with jack
2. Remove cotter pin, if equipped, from steering cylinder
at steering arm on spindle.
3. Remove nut and bolt from steering arm.
4. Disconnect steering cylinder from spindle.
Front Axle/Front Axle—420
316, 318 & 420 Lawn and Garden Tractors