Diagnosis, tests and adjustments, Troubleshooting guide, Group 15 – John Deere 318 User Manual
ABOUT THIS GROUP
Always perform the system checkout procedures in
Group 05 BEFORE making any tests or adjustments
in this group. The step-by-step procedures in this
group provide you with the detailed diagnostic
information you will need to isolate a malfunction.
Basic diagnostic equipment is used.
It is assumed that you are familiar with the machine
and its power train components. If you need
additional information, read the theory of operation in
Group 10 or refer to the overall hydraulic schematics
in Section 270, Group 10.
Engine rpm and temperature are critical in most
hydraulic tests. Be sure to follow test specifications
Always start with the first step and follow the
sequence from left to right. Read each step
completely before performing the test.
Upon completing a test or adjustment, check to see
whether the problem is corrected by performing the
checkout procedures in Group 05.
If machine does not operate properly, select the appropriate symptom from the list below.
• MACHINE MOVES IN ONE DIRECTION ONLY: GO TO
• MACHINE WILL NOT MOVE IN EITHER DIRECTION: GO TO
• MACHINE CREEPS IN ONE DIRECTION CONSISTENTLY: GO TO
• HYDRO CONTROL LEVER DOES NOT RETURN TO NEUTRAL WHEN BOTH BRAKES ARE APPLIED:
• TRANSMISSION OPERATION HAS ERRATIC OR LOW POWER OR SPEED WILL NOT INCREASE: GO
• MACHINE WILL NOT REACH FULL SPEED: GO TO
• TRANSMISSION OPERATES HOT: GO TO
• MACHINE FREEWHEELS: GO TO
• HYDRAULIC SYSTEM IS NOISY: GO TO
• NO HYDRAULICS AFTER BEING SERVICED: GO TO
• CHARGE PUMP SEAL REPEATEDLY FAILS: GO TO
Diagnosis, Tests and Adjustments
316, 318 & 420 Lawn and Garden Tractors