John Deere 318 User Manual
10. Lock brake pedals together (318 and 420) and apply
11. Loosen lock nut (A).
12. Turn nut until spring is 42 mm (1.650 in.) long.
Tighten lock nut.
NOTE: Early models have two bolts (A) attaching
differential to frame support bracket (C). Later
models have one shoulder bolt (A) or one bolt
with a washer and spacer.
IMPORTANT: It is recommended to replace the early
model differential frame support
bracket (C) with the later configuration
(D). The early models attached the
differential to the frame support bracket
with two bolts (A). One in the
differential case and the other in the
differential cover. When the machine
went over rough terrain, the flexing of
the cover and case caused the
differential gasket to leak. With the later
model frame support bracket installed,
the slotted hole and single shoulder
bolt (A) (attached to the case only) will
allow for flexing, eliminating any
13. Early models; Install new differential frame support
14. Install shoulder bolt (A) or bolt, washer and spacer.
Tighten to 61 N·m (45 lb-ft).
15. Attach all mounting bolts, hoses and clamps.
16. Connect suction hose (B).
C—Differential Frame Support Bracket (Early
17. Remove jack stands and lower tractor.
D—Differential Frame Support Bracket (Later
316, 318 & 420 Lawn and Garden Tractors