John Deere 318 User Manual
14. Pry out lower bearing retainer using a screwdriver.
15. Remove lower worm bearing cone.
NOTE: Bearing cup is press-fit in bearing adjuster.
Remove bearing cup only if replacement is
Bearing cups and cones are matched and must
be replaced as complete assemblies.
16. Inspect bearing cup in bearing adjuster for wear or
damage. Replace if necessary.
17. Screw bearing adjuster (A) into gearbox housing.
Remove bearing cup using a slide hammer and puller
from JDG457 Steering Gear Service Set.
18. Remove upper worm bearing cone from shaft or
316, 318 & 420 Lawn and Garden Tractors