John Deere 318 User Manual
IMPORTANT: Pump shaft and bearing assembly
could restrict movement of swashplate.
Full swashplate movement is
approximately 25 mm (1 in.) in each
direction. If necessary tap shaft with a
soft faced hammer.
2. Push top of swashplate (C) down until it contacts the
stops in the housing.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT drive pins after they bottom.
Housing damage will result.
3. Drive pin (B) until it bottoms in housing.
4. Drive two pins (D) until the lower one bottoms in
D—Spring Pin (2 used)
5. Turn swashplate to the neutral position. Pins should
fall into housing.
6. Repeat the above steps to remove second pin (D).
7. Remove control shaft (E) and trunnion shaft (A) to
8. Inspect swashplate and motor housing (F).
9. Remove pump shaft.
316, 318 & 420 Lawn and Garden Tractors