John Deere 318 User Manual
35. Apply petroleum jelly on new commutator seal (A)
and seal ring (B).
36. Install new commutator seal with yellow mark (C) or
narrow edge, down into commutator cover.
37. Install seal ring (B) and pins (D).
C—Yellow Mark or Narrow Edge
D—Pin (2 used)
IMPORTANT: Align grooves (A) in isolation manifold
with groove (B) in upper cover plate.
38. Install isolation manifold, with recessed slots up, on
39. Install pins (C).
40. Install three 13 mm (1/2 in.) springs (B) in recessed
slots of the isolation manifold.
41. Install hex drive assembly, with pin (A) up, on drive
42. Apply petroleum jelly on new seal rings (A). Install
seal rings on valve ring.
43. Align valve ring holes (B) with pins (C) to install
Steering—318 and 420/Steering Valve
316, 318 & 420 Lawn and Garden Tractors