John Deere 318 User Manual
NOTE: Disconnect brakes on both sides of machine.
17. Disconnect spring (A).
18. Remove nut (B), plate or washer (D) and spring (C).
19. Bend tabs (F) flat. Remove two cap screws (E) from
each side of machine.
20. Lower differential and transmission assembly and roll
away from frame.
D—Plate (Early Models)
—Washer (Later Models)
E—Mounting Cap Screw (2 used)
F—Lock Plate Tab
21. Thoroughly clean outside surface of differential
assembly with steam cleaner or cleaning solvent.
IMPORTANT: Mark spacers and cap screws before
disassembly. Each spacer must be
installed in its original location.
22. Remove four cap screws and spacers (A) to remove
23. Make repairs as necessary. (See procedures in this
316, 318 & 420 Lawn and Garden Tractors