John Deere 318 User Manual
16. Remove four cap screws (A).
17. Remove input shaft assembly (B) from gear case
18. Remove four cap screws (D), end cap (E) and shims
19. Remove vent plug (H) and adapter (I).
NOTE: Bearing cup is press-fit in end cap. Remove
bearing cup only if replacement is necessary.
Bearing cones and cups are matched and must
be replaced as complete assemblies.
20. Inspect bearing cup (G) for wear or damage.
Replace if necessary.
21. Remove bearing cup (G) using a slide hammer and
a three-jaw puller.
A—Cap Screw (4 used)
B—Input Shaft Assembly
D—Cap Screw (4 used)
F—Shims (as required)
Input Shaft Side
Mower Gear Case Repair/260 Rotary Mower
316, 318 & 420 Lawn and Garden Tractors