John Deere 318 User Manual
36. Remove upper cover plate (four plates bonded
37. Check plate surface for grooves, dents, or metal
flakes. A polished pattern due to the action of the seal is
38. Remove steering shaft and snap ring (A).
39. Inspect steering shaft serrations, threads, and flats
for grooves, wear, or damage.
40. Remove washer and steering tube (A).
NOTE: Steering tube and retaining plate (B) are a
matched set. If either part is worn or damaged,
both must be replaced.
IMPORTANT: Hold steering tube in a soft-jaw vice.
Be careful not to crush steering tube.
41. Inspect bushing (A) for wear or damage. If bushing
replacement is necessary, straighten crimped area of
steering tube using a punch.
42. Remove bushing using a 2-jaw puller and slide
Steering—318 and 420/Steering Valve
316, 318 & 420 Lawn and Garden Tractors