John Deere 318 User Manual
4. Install key (L) and bevel gear (J), shoulder end first,
onto shaft (H).
5. Align holes in bevel gear and shaft and install spring
6. Press bearing cone (K) on shaft with small O.D.
facing away from bevel gear (J). Install bearing cone
7. Slide bearing cone (G) onto other end of output shaft
IMPORTANT: Do not press seal in until seated or
bottomed out. Seal will become
damaged and will leak.
8. Press new seal (E) into cap (B) until seal is flush with
first recess in bottom of cap.
9. Install new bearing cup (F), if removed, using a driver
10. Apply multipurpose grease to lip of seal.
A—Cap Screw and Lock G—Bearing Cone
Plate (4 used)
Output Shaft Side
D—Shims (as required)
Mower Gear Case Repair/Early 60-Inch Mower (Curtis)
316, 318 & 420 Lawn and Garden Tractors