Diagnosis, tests and adjustments, About this group, Group 10 – John Deere 318 User Manual
ABOUT THIS GROUP
Always perform the system checkout procedures in
Group 05 BEFORE making any tests or adjustments
in this group. The step-by-step procedures in this
group provide you with the detailed diagnostic
information you will need to isolate a malfunction.
Basic diagnostic equipment is used.
It is assumed that you are familiar with the machine
and its engine, fuel and air system components.
Engine rpm and temperature are critical in most
engine tests. Be sure to follow test specifications
Always start with the first step and follow the
sequence from left to right. Read each step
completely before performing the test.
Upon completing a test or adjustment, check to see
whether the problem is corrected by performing the
checkout procedures in Group 05.
If engine does not operate properly, select the appropriate symptom from the list below. (If engine does not
crank, see Section 240.)
• ENGINE WILL NOT START OR STARTS HARD: GO TO
• ENGINE BACKFIRES: GO TO
• ENGINE MISSES: GO TO
• ENGINE SURGES OR STALLS FREQUENTLY: GO TO
• ENGINE DOES NOT DEVELOP FULL POWER: GO TO
• ENGINE RUNS ERRATICALLY: GO TO
• ENGINE OVERHEATS: GO TO
• ABNORMAL ENGINE NOISE: GO TO
• LOW OIL PRESSURE: GO TO
• ENGINE SMOKES EXCESSIVELY AND USES TOO MUCH OIL: GO TO
• ENGINE SMOKES EXCESSIVELY AND USES TOO MUCH FUEL: GO TO
Diagnosis, Tests and Adjustments
316, 318 & 420 Lawn and Garden Tractors