Assemble pump and motor housing – John Deere 318 User Manual
16. Inspect bearing, replace if necessary.
IMPORTANT: Be sure to hold shaft while removing
17. Remove bearing using a 1 in. driver disk (A), bearing
puller attachment and a press.
ASSEMBLE PUMP AND MOTOR HOUSING
IMPORTANT: Always use new seals and O-rings.
Damaged or used parts will leak.
NOTE: Lubricate all seals and O-rings with petroleum
jelly during assembly.
1. Push motor shaft into bearing until it is on the shaft
shoulder using 1 in. driver disk (A), bearing puller
attachment, and a press.
IMPORTANT: To prevent bearing damage, press only
on outer race of bearing when
installing motor shaft assembly.
2. Push motor shaft assembly into housing until bearing
is at the bottom of bore using a 1-7/16 in. driver disk
(A), socket (B) and a donut type disk (C) and a press.
NOTE: There will be approximately 5 mm (3/16 in.) of
the bearing race above the mounting surface.
3. Install housing on bench fixture.
4. Drive bearings or bushings into housing until they are
flush with surface using a 1-1/8 in. driver disk (A).
5. Install three oil seals. Install seal with lip of seal
(spring side) toward inside of housing using a 1-7/16 in.
316, 318 & 420 Lawn and Garden Tractors