John Deere 318 User Manual
IMPORTANT: Tape end of output shaft to prevent
seal damage during shaft installation.
11. Apply tape around end of output shaft.
12. Assemble output shaft assembly and cap (B).
NOTE: Flat sides of cap must align with flat sides of
gear case. Gear case mounting surface must be
flat to install gear case on mower deck.
13. Install shims (D). Align marks made during
disassembly and install output shaft assembly into gear
14. Install four cap screws and lock plates (A) and
tighten to 30 N·m (22 lb-ft).
15. Check output shaft endplay. Endplay should be
within 0.025—0.076 mm (0.001—0.003 in.). If necessary,
remove cap and output shaft assembly and add or
remove shims (D) as needed.
16. Again, remove four cap screws and lock plates (A)
and cap and output shaft assembly.
Output Shaft Side
17. Clean mating surfaces of cap, shims and gear case
using Clean and Cure Primer. Apply a bead of
Form-In-Place Gasket, or an equivalant, between inside
A—Cap Screw and Lock Plate (4 used)
edge of top shim and lip on cap (B).
D—Shims (as required)
18. Align and install cap and output shaft assembly into
gear case. Install four cap screws and lock plates (A)
and tighten to 30 N·m (22 lb-ft). Bend lock plates up
around cap screws.
Mower Gear Case Repair/Early 60-Inch Mower (Curtis)
316, 318 & 420 Lawn and Garden Tractors