John Deere 318 User Manual
IMPORTANT: Tape splined end of worm shaft to
prevent seal damage during shaft
12. Apply tape around splined end of worm shaft.
13. Install ball nut (A) and worm shaft (B) with bearing
cone, into gearbox housing. Remove tape.
14. Install new bearing cup in worm bearing adjuster, if
removed, using a driver set.
15. Pack lower worm bearing cone with multipurpose
16. Install lower worm bearing cone into worm bearing
adjuster with large O.D. facing away from threaded end
17. Install retainer until flush with outside surface of
adjuster, using a plastic hammer.
18. Apply a coat of a lithium base grease to threads of
worm bearing adjuster.
19. Install worm bearing adjuster (A).
IMPORTANT: Ball nut must be centered during
assembly. If not, the steering will only
turn fully in one direction and damage
can be done by bottoming the worm
drive against the ball nut.
20. Center ball nut (B) in gearbox housing as shown.
21. Fill gearbox with approximately 312 g (11 oz) of
316, 318 & 420 Lawn and Garden Tractors