John Deere 318 User Manual
DISASSEMBLE AND INSPECT MOWER
GEAR CASE—LATER 60-INCH MOWER
1. Remove drain plugs (A and B) and drain oil from gear
2. Remove four cap screws (A) and input shaft
3. Remove lock nut (B), washer (C) and bevel gear (E)
and bearing from shaft.
NOTE: Bearing cone is press-fit on bevel gear. Remove
bearing cone only if replacement is necessary.
Bearing cone, cup in pillow block and shim(s) are
matched and must be replaced as complete
4. Inspect bearing cone (D) for wear or damage.
Replace if necessary.
5. Remove bearing cone from bevel gear using a
knife-edge puller and a press.
6. Remove shim(s) (F) and key (G).
A—Cap Screw (4 used)
F—Shim (as required)
Input Shaft Side
Mower Gear Case Repair/Later 60-Inch Mower (Peerless)
316, 318 & 420 Lawn and Garden Tractors