John Deere 318 User Manual
48. Four-port and early five-port; Install new O-ring (B)
on plug (A). Install check ball (C). Be sure check ball is
seated in bottom of hole. Install plug. Do not tighten.
NOTE: Four-port not shown. Unit is similar to early
49. Later five-port; Install check ball (E) in countersunk
hole (hole closest to the center of the port manifold).
50. Apply petroleum jelly on new O-rings (A) and new
seal ring (B). Install O-rings and seal ring in port cover.
IMPORTANT: Align grooves (C) in port cover with
grooves (D) in manifold.
51. Install port cover with seals toward port manifold.
C—Port Cover Alignment Grooves
D—Port Manifold Alignment Grooves
E—Check Ball (Later Five-Port)
52. Install and tighten four nuts in the sequence shown.
Tighten in several steps to 30 N·m (22 lb-ft).
Early Five-Port Shown
Steering—318 and 420/Steering Valve
316, 318 & 420 Lawn and Garden Tractors