John Deere 318 User Manual
12. Remove vent plug (A) from retainer (G).
13. Remove four cap screws (B). Remove retainer (G)
and output shaft assembly (K) by tapping on end of shaft
with a rubber mallet.
14. Remove output shaft assembly (K) from retainer (G).
15. Remove O-ring (F) and shim (C) from retainer (G).
IMPORTANT: Remove and discard crush ring (E). A
new crush ring must be installed
during assembly to achieve proper
output shaft end play.
16. Remove bearing cup (D) and crush ring (E). Discard
17. Pry out seal (H).
NOTE: Bearing cup is press-fit in gear case. Remove
bearing cup only if replacement is necessary.
Bearing cones and cups are matched and must
be replaced as complete assemblies.
18. Inspect bearing cups (D and I) for wear or damage.
Output Shaft Side
Replace as necessary.
19. Remove bearing cup (I) using a brass drift or punch
B—Cap Screw (4 used)
C—Shim (as required)
K—Output Shaft Assembly
Mower Gear Case Repair/Later 60-Inch Mower (Peerless)
316, 318 & 420 Lawn and Garden Tractors