John Deere 318 User Manual
IMPORTANT: DO NOT use a screwdriver to remove
commutator. Commutator can be
27. Remove commutator and five pins (A) using a wood
dowel or equivalent.
NOTE: The commutator is made up of two plates
bonded together. It is a permanent assembly and
cannot be disassembled.
28. Check commutator machined surface, holes and
edges for nicks. Edges must be sharp.
29. Remove drive link spacer. Check spacer for grooves,
wear, or damage.
30. The rotor should rotate and orbit freely within the
stator. Check commutator side of stator face for grooves
NOTE: Stator and rotor are a matched set. If either are
worn or damaged, both must be replaced.
31. Measure rotor-to-stator clearance. Center rotor lobe
(A) between stator lobes and check clearance directly
opposite lobe (A).
If rotor-to-stator clearance is more than 0.08 mm (0.003
in.), replace rotor and stator.
Steering—318 and 420/Steering Valve
316, 318 & 420 Lawn and Garden Tractors