Disassemble and inspect steering valve and column – John Deere 318 User Manual
11. Remove steering unit from bottom of machine.
12. Make repairs as necessary. (See procedure in this
13. Installation is done in the revese order of removal.
• Install steering unit with marks made during removal or
with alignment grooves in port manifold and cover, facing
• Tighten steering wheel-to-shaft nut to 15 N·m (133
• Bleed hydraulic system. (See procedure in Section 270,
DISASSEMBLE AND INSPECT STEERING
VALVE AND COLUMN
NOTE: Machines may be equipped with a four or
five-port steering valve. The four-port and early
five-port have a plug, O-ring and check ball in
the side of the port cover. The later five-port has
a check ball in the center of the port cover
(internal) and no external plug or O-ring.
IMPORTANT: Use DFMX1 Steering Valve Fixture
when servicing control valve. Holding
control valve in a vise can damage
1. Install DFMX1 Steering Valve Fixture (A) in a vise.
(See Section 299 for instructions to make fixture.)
2. Install steering valve, with steering column down, in
fixture. Fasten valve to fixture using four 5/16-24 UNF
Early Five-Port Shown
3. Check position of alignment grooves (B) to aid in
Steering—318 and 420/Steering Valve
316, 318 & 420 Lawn and Garden Tractors