John Deere 318 User Manual
15. Remove valve plate. Inspect the slots and ground
surfaces for nicks or wear. If the valve plate is scored or
the edges are not sharp, the valve plate and valve ring
both must be replaced.
16. Remove and inspect hex drive assembly. Check
sides and slot for wear, grooves, or scoring. Pin (A)
should be tight and show no wear or damage.
17. Remove three springs (B).
18. Inspect springs for broken coils, wear, or damage.
19. Remove the isolation manifold (four plates bonded
together). Check manifold surface, holes and edges for
nicks, or unusual wear. A polished pattern from the
rotation of the valve plate and commutator cover is
20. Remove drive link. Check the four crowned surfaces
(A) for wear or scoring.
Steering—318 and 420/Steering Valve
316, 318 & 420 Lawn and Garden Tractors